Funded abortion care for women from Northern Ireland
Marie Stopes UK will no longer be charging consultation or treatment fees for women from Northern Ireland travelling to England. This is effective immediately.
The UK Government have committed to cover the cost of abortion care for women from Northern Ireland who are treated in England. This was announced on 30th June 2017.
To receive funded abortion care you will need to:
1. Live in Northern Ireland (have a BT postcode); and
2. Provide a Health and Care Number (HCN).
If you’re not sure of your HCN number, your GP surgery will be able to let you know what it is. You do not need to tell your GP why you need to know the number unless you want to.
Please mention when booking if it is difficult for you to fund the cost of your travel and accommodation (and possibly those of a parent, guardian or carer). We will assess whether you are eligible for help with these expenses.
Women from Northern Ireland who have visited a Marie Stopes UK Centre or Clinic and paid for abortion care since 30th June 2017 will be contacted to have their consultation and treatment costs refunded.
Information for Northern Irish women accessing abortion care:
- The legal framework for accessing abortion care in Northern Ireland has not changed, and is still very restrictive.
- It is legal for General Practitioners (GPs) in Northern Ireland to refer patients to abortion care providers in England.
- You can self-refer to our services directly, and do not need to tell your GP in Northern Ireland if you don’t want to.
We're here to help 24/7. Get in touch.
From Northern Ireland
0333 234 2184
From Republic of Ireland
(Freephone) 1 800 200 374
We offer free taxisMore info
We help with flightsMore info
We offer counsellingMore info