GPs & Health Professionals
We work closely with GPs and Health Professionals to ensure all women in Ireland are provided with pregnancy options and choice, including abortion up to the legal limit of 23 weeks and 6 days gestation.
Why refer your patient to Marie Stopes UK?
We care about your patient’s health and wellbeing just as much as you, that’s why we:
• Offer discounted fees for both medical and surgical abortions
• Offer priority appointments for all Irish women
• Offer free taxis to and from your patient’s appointment
• Offer counselling as part of your patient’s treatment
• Offer free post-abortion care and advice 24 hours a day
• Ensure all of our clinics are registered with the Department of Health (DH) and Care Quality Commissioning
• Ensure our Belfast Centre is registered with the Regulations and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA)
• Have over 40 years of experience in this specialist field
Is it legal for GPs and Health Professionals to provide abortion information to their patient?
Yes. GPs and Health Professionals in Ireland can legally provide information on pregnancy options, including abortion, to their patients.
Find out more about abortion and the law
Can I refer a patient to Marie Stopes UK for an abortion?
Yes. GPs and Health Professionals based in Ireland are legally allowed to provide Irish women with all pregnancy options, including accessing abortion services in the UK.
Self-referral: Your patients can call our free 24-hour advice line: 0345 300 3737 (Northern Ireland) or 1 800 200 374 (Republic of Ireland).
Our expert team will discuss your patient’s pregnancy options with them and provide counselling if they’d like. For more information read our step by step guide. Counselling is free as part of treatment fees.
Where are your abortion clinics located?
Our clinics provide medical abortion and our centres provide both medical and surgical abortion – which is why we tend to book Irish patients into our centres, so we are planning for all eventualities.
Marie Stopes UK has over 80 clinics. Our closest English clinics to Ireland include Liverpool and Manchester.
We give all Irish women priority appointments in our England locations.
How can I support my patient after they’ve had an abortion?
If your patient has had an abortion with us they can access our free and unlimited aftercare service. Our qualified nurses are available 24 hours a day and our trained counsellors are available for confidential appointments over the phone if and when your patient needs them.
Although complications are extremely rare, it’s important to be aware of any serious medical problems that can occur after an abortion, so you can support your patient.
See our aftercare page for more information.