Marie Stopes UK Privacy Statement
Marie Stopes UK ("We") are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We use commercially reasonable safeguards to help keep the information collected through our Services and our websites secure, accurate and up-to-date.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of all individuals using this website, ensuring every effort has been made to safeguard your details so that they remain confidential and accessible to only those who need to know the information in relation to the service or support that has been requested.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
By visiting www.mariestopes.org.uk you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
Data Protection Statement
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the "Act"), the data controller is Marie Stopes International, 1 Conway Street, W1T6LP registered with the ICO under number Z5517462 . In accordance with the Act, Marie Stopes UK will hold and process your personal data in order to provide the services or information you have requested. We will not sell or rent your information to third parties. We will not share your information collected from this our website with third parties unless we have your explicit permission to do so, or we are required to do so by law. For example, we made need to share your details if requested to do so by a court order or for the purposes of prevention of fraud or other crime.
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with us.
The security and privacy of your personal information are very important to Marie Stopes UK. We will use the data you give to us whether on line, by telephone, in writing or by other means for administration and analysis.
How we collect information
We may collect and process the following information about you:
Information you give us
- Information you provide when filling in forms on the UK website such as your name, email address, telephone number, IP address and location. It includes information you provide when you register to use our site, subscribe to our service and when you report a problem with our site.
- Information you provide when registering with the Marie Stopes UK portal such as your first and second name, landline number, surgery or centre name, work address and email. The Marie Stopes UK portal is aimed at GPs or healthcare providers who sign up to it. We may use the information you have provided us to contact you regarding the services we provide.
Information we collect from you
With regard to each of your visits to our site, we will automatically collect the following information:
- Technical information, such login information
- Information about your visit, including the URL, details of any transactions you carry out through our site via a third party such as donations to our work
- We also gather general information about the use of our website such as which pages users visit most often, which services are of most interest and what journey they take through the site. We may use this information to make improvements to our website and ensure we provide the best service for our users.
Information we receive from other sources
This is information we receive about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. Occasionally, we may work closely with third parties involved in your care and we will use best endeavours to notify you when we receive information from such third parties.
How we use this information
Marie Stopes UK will use the data you give to us whether online, by telephone, in writing or by other means to provide you with the services or information you have requested, for administrative purposes, analysis, and to further charitable aims including fundraising.
If you are making a donation to the Marie Stopes UK via My Donate or JustGiving or any other third party platform charity, there are opt out boxes on all of our charity selection and direct donation forms. If you have a MyDonate or JustGiving account/log in details, you have the ability, where appropriate, to review and update your personal data via this website.
We use information held about you in the following ways:
Information you give to us
We will use this information:
- To provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- If you are a referrer to our service, we will only contact you with information about goods and services for which you have opted in.
- To endeavour to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
Information we collect about you
We will use this information:
- To administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- To improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- As part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- To measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others;
- To make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
Right of access
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you or have inaccuracies in your information corrected. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. For a copy of the personal information we hold about you (or the person you are acting on behalf of), you can request a Subject Access Request Form. If you wish to exercise this right, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Subject access requests by the data subject do not incur a fee.
Subject access requests by the Police or Solicitors should be passed to the Head of Customer Services and will incur a fee of maximum £10 to meet our costs.
Marie Stopes UK sometimes embeds photos, surveys, widgets and video content from websites such as YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook and Twitter. As a result, when you visit a page with content embedded from, you may be presented with cookies from these websites. Marie Stopes UK does not control the dissemination of these cookies and you should check the relevant third party website for more information about these.
Marie Stopes UK web site may contain links to third party web sites run by other organisations. Marie Stopes UK is not responsible for the privacy practices, the content or the product or service offerings of any third party websites.
Marie Stopes UK has the right to amend or change either the Privacy or Security Policy. Details of these changes will be clearly posted on the website. Unless otherwise specified, all such changes will take effect immediately upon posting. Your use of our sites constitutes your binding acceptance of these Terms, including any modifications that we make.
If you still have questions about Marie Stopes’ privacy practices, contact us.
The Marie Stopes UK website contains hyperlinks to many other websites. This information is supplied in good faith, in case it is of interest or use to Marie Stopes UK website users. Marie Stopes UK is not responsible for the content or functionality of any of these external websites (although please let us know if a link is not working by emailing email@example.com).
Marie Stopes UK cannot ensure the security of any information you transmit via the Internet or any mobile device or guarantee that information on the Services may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Storing your Information
For all areas of our website through which we collect personal data, we use secure servers located within the European Economic Area. We will keep your information for as long as required to enable us to operate our services but we will not keep your information for any longer than necessary. When we no longer need to retain your information, we will ensure it is securely disposed of at the appropriate time.
You should be aware that if an external website requests personal information from you, this information is supplied to, stored and used by the company concerned, and that Marie Stopes UK will not be liable to you or any other person for loss or damage directly or indirectly for any use of this or any site linked to it.
Changes to Privacy Statement
The information on this website has been provided as general information only. Marie Stopes UK cannot accept responsibility for loss occasioned after reliance placed on any of the contents of this website. Marie Stopes UK makes no warranty as to the accuracy of site information or contents.
Your use of the Marie Stopes UK website is governed by this policy and passing beyond the homepage is deemed as acceptance of these conditions.
If you still have questions about Marie Stopes UK’s privacy practices, contact us.
Copyright and Reproductions
All page content made available on our website is copyright to Marie Stopes UK unless otherwise stated.
All photographs are copyright to Marie Stopes UK or their individual owner unless otherwise stated.
The site may contain other propriety notices and copyright information, the terms of which must be observed and followed. Information is not to be copied to use in any other website, database or publication or any other form of work.
Registered charity in England and Wales, charity number: 265543.
A company registered in England and Wales, company number: 1102208.